Friday, January 12, 2024

Why Don't You Do That Any More?


I have a display case in "the studio". Part of one side is shown above.  Filled with things I have made, bought to use as reference when learning to sculpt with polymer clay, sculpted myself and some just made from kits.

The bottom section with the green arrow are original space vehicles and a stop frame animation robot I made from 1995 ~1998. Made from sheet plastic and various kit parts. My Youtube channel has some musical Shorts with making of pictures

A couple of weeks ago, my youngest son, now in his 30s, asked "why don't I make more of those?".  They are the best looking things in the display case.  I hadn't been asked that question before, but had thought about it. Basically the answer is:

I did that once, and don't feel a need to do it again



At the time I did them as part of my development of my Desktop Production.  I wanted cool looking original vehicles and puppets and learnt what I needed to make them.  It wasn't the models themselves that were my final goal, but short movies. In 2022 I came back and used these props, sets, vehicles and puppets, in what I call My Sci-Fi Rock Opera

I think something I have always done is learn something "good enough" to do what I need. I could say my electronics/ firmware career was similar.  I have no interest in electronics or firmware now in retirement, and don't feel any need to do it again! 

My Guitar playing is also similar. Don't think of myself as "a guitarist", and don't collect guitars, even if I do have 3. I can basically do what I need to do my original material, and if I want to do something I can't at the moment, I learn to.

We can be found at ArtAndTechnology


No comments: