Something I posted to Facebook in 2017. 5 people seemed to have noticed.
Monday, December 27, 2021
Thursday, December 16, 2021
Something from Twitter again:
I also did a version with all the art in squares, but it doesn't show as much, so putting this version here instead.
Kind of a summary of the Visual Art year in 9 images, but there has been much more than that. Also I'm not getting any younger...
I keep a Diary and was updating it yesterday to what our main "achievements" were this year. Without mentioning the significant events in our kids lives, they are:
1) Read more Japanese language manga, in Japanese then ever before this year.
2) Wrote and recorded 5 songs and updated our music making system.
3) Was fully Vaccinated against C19
4) Got a Mobile Phone here in Japan, on a plan that doesn't cost us anything if we don't use the phone.
5) Wrote and produced more of my own comics than before.
And I though to myself, that feels good.
Friday, December 10, 2021
First attempt at animating a 3 minute video using a puppet we made from our comic character of me and our original track, DREAM.
This is the whole one man band, home recording experience. Many of the comics I do are "Slice of Life", and this is too. I actually recorded the Dream track several years ago now.
1 of the 8 pages of the comic on recording my music, for example:
The comics I do are done in CorelDraw and I made the character with extra hands, mouths, eye positions and body components on separate layers. I saved the character as an illustrator fil
In illustrator I output it as a multilayer Photoshop file. That way all the components are on separate layers, but still form a complete character.
What some of those parts look like if you separate them out
That Photoshop file is brought into Moho and a skeleton and switch layers used to select 1 of n options for eyes, browse, mouth and hands. I haven't used the Moho drawing tools yet, and don't know if I will.
Moho Pro 12 is such a huge improvement over Anime Studio Pro 5 I used previously.
I made a few video segments between 74 and 300 frames at 24fps to assemble the video from. The lip synced videos had 11khz 8 bit audio of just the vocal in them to help align with the mastered music track, then muted once in the correct place.
All assembled with lyrics and title added in Movie Studio.
A more typical way to do a music video is to put the 4 different players in each corner of the screen, but that would need 4 times the amount of animated segments to work with, so I used the one shot at a time approach. Cutting on beats between clip variations makes it a bit more interesting, as the studio experience is very static.