Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Mixing on Headphones

 


There is so much misinformation and opinion paraded as fact on Social Media and the Internet in general.   One such thing is that "you can not mix on headphones". 

Thing is, a real expert,  Andrew Scheps does it all the time now out of necessity. Just uses widely available SONY headphones, as that is what he taught himself to use.  As long as you know what you are hearing, and how that translates, you could use anything.

I am no mixing expert.  I have had reasonable results in the last few months using AKG K702 headphones and  DEAR VR MIX, a virtual headphone mixing room. A slow moving SPECTRAL Display (Voxengo SPAN) is also a vital tool for me.  Previous to that I used a few different "mix over headphone" tools with similar results.  


My Mix Comparison Project is also useful for seeing and hearing how other commercial track are setup and mixed and mastered. Very educational. 

My main speakers are small JBL 104s and I am in a tiny room, so mixing on headphones has great advantages for me.  

 


Have been told this Ambient track sounds amazing, so that is all I am after.  

My music is not on Spotify, just Youtube, Soundcloud and Bandcamp,  

We can be found at ArtAndTechnology


No comments: