Monday, January 22, 2024

Hi-Fi: NEW RECORD DAY - Open Baffle Speakers

 


I originally came across this Hi-Fi reviewing channel as he used a dummy head and was making proper binaural recordings to demonstrate loudspeakers. He did a really good job of it too.  And not just because of my own interest in Headphones and Binaural audio.

His latest videos are about room treatment, and that alone sets him apart from the majority of the BS Hi-Fi crowd. Room treatment is such a vital part of a studio setup, that it is a complete joke when ignored.  Anyone that doesn't have their listening space treated can not be taken seriously.  

I discovered his channel shortly before COVID hit the world. During the pandemic he vanished for a while, then came back with a video saying how terrible getting covid had been for him and his family, needing hospitalization.  I don't now if that video is still on his channel, but he really looked and sounded terrible, and this was shortly after "recovering".   He lives in TEXAS so I expect the prevailing influence of his church, and the ensuing social pressures meant he and family probably were not vaccinated. "Jesus is my vaccine" seemed to be the popular strategy there. Churches with people all singing was also a really good way to spread the nasty virus.  I am just assuming all that though, from my understanding of Texas (even Jesse James ex-Westcoast Choppers goes to church each Sunday now he lives there), and glad he got over it.  So different from here in Kyoto Japan where "almost everyone" was masked and vaccinated from 2020 till end-ish 2023.

Anyway, he is a fan of open baffle speakers.  Still a pretty rare configuration, don't exist at all in the pro audio world, but tend to think under the right conditions they must have advantages.  I used to watch LINKWITZ LAB before he passed away and he was a fan of them too, and had the technical chops to produce his own. The designs are still available at the website.

I have became a fan of Open Back Headphones for listening to music at home in the last 2 years. Current favorites are AKG K702, as they just give a better sound field ( in a quiet environment). 

The video above has a good demo of prototype open baffle speakers, that is well recorded, in a treated room. The music usually used to demo HiFi is rather sparse and he has done that here too, but that is okay.  

Are they better than high end ATC, GENELEC or PMC from the studio world? I don't know.

Worth a listen.  As a kid, I loved the cartoon AUTOCAT and MOTORMOUSE too, so I like the accent too I guess😀 . 


NEW RECORD DAY? Sounds like his channel originally reviewed records, and I have no idea how the name fits into what he does now, but it is a cool logo. Easy to embryoid patches with too. 

We can be found at ArtAndTechnology


No comments: