Saturday, September 26, 2026

TRAINS: Kyoto Japan Ambient

 



I use the trains around Kyoto a lot. So much more convenient than driving for me. Only a 7 minute walk to the local station, then not long to downtown Osaka or Kyoto.  Even if the next station in Osaka is as far as I usually go.


3 Years ago I used my ZOOM H1 recorder and was out recording environmental sounds I used in a few pieces of music, such as this TRAINS one: 



I had had the ZOOM recorder for quite a few years and hadn't had much success with any of the previous ambient stuff I had tried to make using it, but it all just clicked 3 years ago.

This 700yen Breakfast is a trip to and from my favorite cafe at the next train station for breakfast:


It was just something I wanted to do at the time, and they are kind of like diary entries for me. The way many into photography would relate to a photography trip they went on, when looking at photos years later.

But I have never been into photography and have never had a camera. Only ever borrowed one my father had or used the disposable FILM WITH LENS cameras I used to take on overseas business trips when I was at Roland Japan. 

First attempt using the radio mic with camera outside, but very conscience I don't want to be seen as a YouTuber talking into a selfie stick camera.  

This music used a lot of ZEBRATTE synth vst and a free ambient orientated library of pads and such sounds.


Other Things


I started this blog a long time ago now. Don't remember exactly when, but I had my final website www.artandtechnolog.com.au set up in 2006, which is all hand crafted HTML and php, and wanted a simply way to post random personal stuff, but didn't want that stuff on my own "professional" website. 

So started with Blogger, linked from our website. Reachable but not obvious. Then there was a period where Facebook was the thing to post your own random stuff too, and this blog was mostly ignored for years.

Then Facebook and social media all changed, not seeing friends posts any more, just PR and propaganda, and the Blog was useful again.  About the time Musk took over Twitter.

And now there is also Substack, a blogging site, where the newsletter are automatically emailed out, and a copy left on the website. You can also charge subscription fees. If you don't subscribe, it is just a blog. Have read there are a lot of  far-right and neo-Nazi there.

I see Joshua Heath Scott uses Substack, and publishes on Saturdays, the way I do here in recent months.  He only started in the recent past of 2025. Unlike my few random paragraphs here, each article he writes is LLLOOONNNGG.  

I have no interest in Substack, and have no idea if anyone actually reads this blog, despite the access numbers, and assume most accesses are just bots and AI Skimmers. 

I find it useful to myself to look back at stuff though. I just forget!  I also have handwritten notebooks that are part diary and just memos I write to my future self. 

And to think I lost my Domain name of 20 years, artandtechnolog.com.au, this week. I don't qualify for the .com.au any more, so it can not be renewed.  Not so traumatic as the last 3 years nothing but bots ever accessed the website and sent me SPAM email.  

Facebook  or X is probably the best way to contact me now, or leave a message on any of the social media I use. But other than the few diehards still using the ancient Fairlight Instruments CMI systems, I am just another one of those old guys fading into obscurity. 

Joshua Heath Scott's other channel on creativity has shown up more interesting stuff:

JACK OF ALL TRADES MASTER OF NONE 
BUT OFTEN SOMETIMES BETTER THAN A MASTER OF ONE

Such as the way the original 18th Century expression got changed in the 19th Century. I prefer this  original, as that is actually true to my experience and Joshua thinks so too.  

I only just noticed he hasn't been doing the vblog for long. Just a month?  The first one talks about his use of notebooks and analog memo taking and his second brain to remove anxiety of having to remember thoughts and ideas. But he doesn't keep a diary, due to childhood trauma.

I keep notebooks as a diary/ memo.  Also artist diaries for drawings and ideas.   During the time I worked at Roland in the 80s and 90s I kept a daily diary in a SYSTEM NOTE.  Kept at it back in Oz too, till 2012, then stopped for a few years. Starting up a diary again in 2019 back in Japan.


Never liked the fixed format of a set space for a day in a diary though. I now just use bigger ruled/ not ruled notebooks and write the date. day, weather and as much as I want. Somedays don't write anything. Other days pages. 

My study of Japanese is in other notebooks and worksheets.  

And for some AI reasoning, now my YouTube feed is full of videos on analog journaling and what small notebooks and formats are the best.  I learnt of magnetic bookmarks, which may come in handy.


Lucas Museum of Narrative Art has opened. The WSJ Fine Art critic panned it as "not art" and myself, and all the artist people I know think that is just so wrong. Illustrations and comics are art!  SYD MEAD had to deal with his awesome work not being taken seriously by the same fine art critics.  The Fine Art World those critics live in is a scam: 




This is my "Where The Smoke Comes Out" comic.  Inspired by the Historical/Autobiographical work SHOWA, by Shigeru Mizuki. Has historical and personal memories of art, tech and music in Australia & Japan.  It isn't an autobiography, just a few memories in 45 pages.

Download the .cbr format comic book from this link. You will need a .cbr Comic Reader.





Adrian Bruce ©2026 KYOTO, JAPAN  
X: https://x.com/Megacurve  
FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/adrian.bruce.9

No comments: