Sunday, June 2, 2024

Mixed Media Missive: FURIOSA 2024/5/31

 


So I went to the cinema for the second time this year to catch FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA.

I thought it was good, and worked well, fitting in with FURY ROAD.


It isn't just FURY ROAD Part 0, which I think is a good thing.  The awesome, terrifying cars, and some new vehicles are there too. What an original thing these movies are.

Case in point, the DOOF WARRIOR!


And due to the internet surveillance we are all under I was soon offered videos on the making of the MAD MAX movies and other resources, such as the 500 page FURY ROAD storyboard pdf.


The whole original movie was storyboarded, and constructed from the stunts and visuals out. The way it is edited, with the focus of the frame being kept consistent between cuts makes it easy to follow, yet high action.  It won many Academy Awards, and all that still resulted in problems making this latest movie, a decade later.

I saw FURIOSA on the local TOHO cinemas biggest screen in Dolby ATMOS, the first session, 10AM Friday morning. There were more people attending than most of the films I have seen at this same time in recent years, maybe 40 or so.  I can't see how these movie complexes will survive. Streaming is just so much more convenient most of the time. They must have management that doesn't believe in capitalisms infinite growth. 

Dolby ATMOS has ceiling speakers (which they light up in green so you see where your money is going until the movie starts!) , as well as the side and front speakers, and a more sophisticated sound positioning technology.


What I find strange, is that if a movie has DOLBY ATMOS sound, and is presented on this screen, you are charged 100 yen extra for it, for little benefit much of the time.  Dolby has gotten very aggressive in royalty charges. Especially in the music side of their business.   

The movie was quite the spectacle.  But I did have quite the headache after coming home. The sound wasn't too loud. Not sure if eyestrain, or just from dehydration as I am careful to not drink too much before a 2.5 hour movie like this.  

The morning movie session finishes right in peak lunch time. Most restaurants have ques of customers waiting at 12:45, but I had a no wait option.  


The BURGERLION American Style Diner was empty, and that suits me, but expect they will not stay in business much longer. Or till the next time I go to the cinema. Had the Bacon Burger above. 1,700yen is really expensive, and it is large, so no wonder they don't have any customers, but that is what makes the place attractive to me.  Burger was a bit too salty, but still good, but the meat patty had some tuff bits in it. They had the option to eat it with a knife and fork now. This was a step forward for me.  

We can be found at ArtAndTechnology


No comments: