Friday, March 15, 2024

DUNE PT2 TOHO Cinema first session 2024/3/15

 


I go to the Cinema about once a year, and seeing DUNE PT2 in the first session maybe it for this year. 

I saw DUNE, before they knew it would be PT1, in the same Toho Cinema on its release in one of the smaller screens in the cinema complex in Kuzuha Hirakata Osaka, my closest Mall. It was, maybe, the first time I thought the sound was painfully loud at the cinema, and I was sure the sound was breaking up during the loudest drums and action scenes then. 

For part 2, it was on the biggest screen with Dolby ATMOS sound. And for the first screening on release on a Friday morning, a work day, there was a fair turn out. Maybe 40 people.


It was the standard English release with Japanese subtitles, but they had kept the English subtitles too for all the Fremen language spoken. Good for me.


Three hours is a long time for a movie to me, and it was only the end of a movie. It looks and sounds amazing, but I was physically exhausted when I got home. I guess that is what most people are paying for. The sound was loud, but it wasn't too loud.  

You get charged an extra 100円 per ticket to get the ATMOS sound installed with the biggest screen. That seems excessive to me. DOLBY is getting really obnoxious with their licensing. ATMOS adds ceiling speakers to their previous surround sound system. It also has a more sophisticated way of moving a sound around the cinema space. I noticed this time entering the theatre, the ceiling speakers all had green illumination around them. Guessing that is used to explain what the extra money is for. I don't remember that being the case last time I went. Luckily they turn off the illumination when the movie starts! 

I read the novel in the later 1970s, probably after finishing High School before University started. It was the first time in many years I didn't have something I had to do instead. A friends sister had a huge SF paperback collection, and I must have been loaned DUNE, as well as many STAINLESS STEEL RAT  and other books.  I can't say I'm a fan of the story of Dune's mostly evil, rich families, religious orders and zealots "inspired" by middle eastern oil, Arab tribes and global corporations.  

It isn't a fun experience like Star Wars but I had to see this latest part, and is worth a trip to a wonderful cinema for the spectacle.

I am a fan of the unofficial Spice Diver Fan Edit of David Lynch's Dune, DUNE REDUX ,  that corrects many issues with the original versions released, and have watched it several time. 




I see that as "more complete" than Dune Pt1 & Pt2 released so far. AND it has STING and Captain Picard in it!

So there will now be DUNE PT3, to continue the story, again, maybe in another 2 years.  I will probably see that in the cinema too. But I expect I will enjoy DUNE PT2 on DVD at home more. I did for DUNE PT1.

I got out of the cinema at 12:30PM. That is normally too late to be able to get a table in any of the many restaurants at Kuzuha Mall.  There are ques outside waiting for free tables from about 11:30AM. But a few months ago a new "American Burger" styled place, BURGERLION opened. The name comes from a JOJO character named more like LEEON, than a big cat.


Had looked at going there shortly after it had opened with my daughter and youngest son, but the prices and sizes of the dishes were a shock.  1,450円 for a burger and chips (when McDonalds is just next door) is really expensive, and my sister in law had told me "Japanese aren't going to pay that for an American style Burger".   Not being an American, makes it a place to I would try once or twice. 

So unsurprisingly, I found BURGERLION mostly empty, with only 2 other tables taken, now 3 and a bit months after it opened. Empty, and that was fine by me, so I got a Pulled Pork Burger. They all come with tasty chips. The Hamburger must be almost 3 times the size of a Big Mac and was good, but messy to eat. They give you a brown waxed paper thing to put it in and you eat it out of that. 

The places biggest problem is you MUST order with your smartphone by scanning the QR code to get the menu to place your order.  This strategy would save the capital expenditure to have tablets at each table like most other restaurants do now, but it was slow and didn't work for me first time, and I had to call a waitress for help. I just got 3 deserts as the only menu items!  She restarted the App and it then worked.  What a massively bad user experience. I expect this place will be closed and gone soon. Way better places have closed and gone in the Mall, and I don't see  BURGERLION as a real option. Wouldn't have enough rich Americans to support it. 

We can be found at ArtAndTechnology


No comments: