Monday, February 19, 2024

A Viking Guitar God's Disco Album

 

Viking Guitar God,  Mattias IA Eklundh, has mostly done heavier guitar riff stuff in odd time signatures through his band FREAK KITCHEN.  Love it. Like this:


Then in 2022 he released his "Disco Album".  Intergalactic Songs Of Love and Reflection


a FREAK AUDIO LAB Album featuring mostly synthesizers put together in Reason ( or was it Alberton) and his pitch shifted "alien" vocals. Such as this track:


Mattias is a skilled musician, lyricist and vocalist. I get the impression he was given all the software tools and encouraged to do this different album, using the different workflow.  He called it "jokingly" his "Disco Album" but it isn't what I now know of as EDM.  Kind of a strange POP album, more danceable than his "normal" releases. 

Very interesting, and still has his meaningful lyrics. Something EDM isn't know for.  

I myself have been studying the current, more traditional EDM genre MELODIC TECHNO, and revisiting Mattias's take just shows how different it is.  Standard EDM is very repetitive, with slow changes and "drops", rather than solos and bridges.  That makes EDM sound boring, but it isn't. Even when repeating basically the same measure, there is movement, and all kinds of things happening in the production that I have found very interesting. The sound is also awesome. 

Last year I did an Ambient-ish Album, and I am guessing this year I will make my own EDM/Metal-ish tracks, but nothing I have made so far has excited me enough. 

We can be found at ArtAndTechnology


No comments: