Wednesday, January 31, 2024

A Food Additive Allergy/Intolerance

Since coming back to Japan 4 years ago, I have found I now have some foods I can't eat.  I didn't used to have that problem, but it seems, this is one of those features of getting old that isn't explained in the owners manual. A food that is now on my DO NOT EAT LIST is a certain brand and type of donuts and an extra fluffy Soufflé hotcake mix my wife bought once.  I have to be very careful with any baked bread like goods that are "FUWA FUWA" as they say in Japanese, which is "extra light and fluffy".  But standard white bread is fine.


I am guessing it is something about the LEAVENING (rising agent) in combination with some FOAMING AGENT that results in me having gut agony for many hours, hours after eating anything with them.  This is usually just described as "bloating", but that doesn't explain how painful that is. My only relief is to try and vomit up the gas filled foam😨, a foam like you find on the sea shore, not the type in a pillow. 

Well, at least I don't have a peanut allergy that could be fatal.

I was recently surprised that YouTube showed me this science channel video Sugar Alcohols Ruined My Health: Learn from My Mistakes but I guess that is just the surveillance we are constantly under via cookies and social media.  In it this science lady, Sabine, talks about how she tracked down her "bloating" to a food additive that has many commercial names, that are all Sugar Alcohols

Could I have a Sugar Alcohols Allergy/Intolerance?  Maybe, but I haven't seen the same list of food additives on the foods I know I can't eat.  Sabine found a cookie she liked became one of the foods she couldn't eat, when a new additive appeared on the box label.  

So my problem is with a kind of Junk Food, so not eating it is easy. Other things just as nice don't give me the problem!

I originally tried to embed  Sabine's video above, but the Google/YouTube Blogger search has now become so useless, it didn't appear in the search results, even using the exact title, with or without enclosing in ""! Assume sponsored content is all that makes it to the top of the search list now 😡


Enshittification
of services continues. Google has no idea any more.

I would like to know if a food I buy has an additive in it.  Would also like to know what known side effect of additives there are, and not have to become a chemist to work all that out.  But the Processed Food industry is not as it should be anyway, and been that way forever.  The whole sugar/ low fat shill disaster really didn't fix anything. Not that easy to avoid all processed foods though.  

Now I don't have any problem eating a Yamazaki Curry Donut. Love them. The ingredients and additives on the back of the pack are here:



The ingredients are: Curry (pork, carrot, sugar, onion paste, bread crumbs, flour, lard, potato flakes, extract seasoning, onion powder, sauteed onion, beef, beef tallow, onion, curry powder, apple paste, salt, cumin, tomato paste, garam masala) , sauce, soy sauce, garlic powder, chocolate, shiitake extract powder, pepper, pepper powder, yeast extract) (manufactured in Japan), flour, shortening, bread crumbs, sugar, emulsified oil, baker's yeast, vegetable protein, fried foods Mixed flour, salt, fermented seeds, eggs, fermented flavoring/modified starch, emulsifier, acetic acid (Na), leavening agent, glycine, seasoning (amino acids, etc.), coloring (caramel, carotenoid), yeast food, oxidation Inhibitor (V.E), xylose, spice extract, V.C, fragrance, glycerin ester, (contains milk ingredients, eggs, wheat, beef, soybeans, chicken meat, pork, and apples)


The ingredients they have now are fine, even though they are a donut, but if they were to change anything, usually for cost reasons, that could change in the future. And that could be a problem. 
I also don't have any problem eating a Pasco Canele Tart. It isn't FUWA FUWA, though, so nothing in it upsets me anyway. The ingredients on the pack are:


Which in OCR Autotranslated English is:  Milk (domestic production), sugar, flour, margarine, eggs, processed wheat products (flour), vegetable oil, caramel powder, rum, shortening/modified starch, glycerin, leavening agent, acetic acid (Na), flavoring, emulsifier , glycine, sucrose ester, lysozyme, antioxidant (vitamin E), coloring agent (carotenoid), (contains egg, wheat, milk ingredients, and soybeans in part)

Now Mister Donut does have Allergen Documents available, like this fragment:


But note that it doesn't include the other additives used for emulsifying, preservation, etc. Stuff like a commercial Sugar Alcohol additive name. Not a complete list. A start though. Could be quite a research project. Not eating any Mister Donuts is easier. Even if I worked out what they add that I can't have, it isn't as if I am going to make a fuss and try and stop them using it. Life is too short.

Not long ago I saw a documentary on NHK about food Allergies, and one of the interesting stories in that was about a food (that I don't remember what it was, nothing special just a regular thing people eat) that a growing number of people were becoming allergic too at an Allergy Clinic.  It turned out the patients were all scuba divers.  They regularly get stung by Jellyfish, and aren't fussed by it. But what happened they discovered is the body reaction to the Jellyfish sting, now gets triggered by a food they had regularly eaten.  

What such action/reactions are we all subject too, yet to be discovered?  I am guessing Social Media in some way 😁

We can be found at ArtAndTechnology


No comments: