Friday, August 16, 2024

Not going along with everyone else...


When I was a kid, the top of our street had a roundish area where several drive ways came and merged with the corner of a bend in a quiet road. Thanks to google street view I can show what it looks like above.

The 3 or 4 local kids would ride their bicycles around, and around, and around there.  During holidays I remember this activity starting early in the day, and going most of the days.  But, even as a kid, I found it entertaining for about 15 minutes at most. I don't remember there being any goal,  rules, or any kind of game associated with it to make it interesting.  It is what those kids did. They loved riding their bicycles. It wasn't just a tool to get somewhere that it was for me.  This was north shore Sydney where there were  no activities around, other than sports clubs,  churches or the pool/beach. And most of those were too far away to get too.

But during the holiday weekdays, mid morning, maybe it was 10AM, but I really have no memory of that, they showed this great science show Watch Mr. Wizard on TV.  

I loved it.


But I was alone in that interest. I remember saying, I'm going home to go watch Mr .Wizard ,  while the other kids were intent on their going around, going nowhere activity, and them saying something like "you're strange to watch that".

I didn't know of any other kid around me that watched it or cared.  But I found science cool!

I see on wikipedia it was popular.  Just not in the backward place I lived.

It was just another thing in my early life, that showed me that fitting into a crowd,  could be such a dumb waste of the opportunities available.  It seems many people are content to just "be". What drives them, and gives them contentment does not align with my own way of thinking at all.

There are some 33 million on X, (Twitter), but it seems to me, only around 1000 do anything at all actually worth posting about. Such a tiny fraction! The rest are busy with their going around, going nowhere, many with millions of followers, thinking the few that aren't  going around, going nowhere,  like them, are strange.

We can be found at ArtAndTechnology


No comments: