The problem I'm very aware of is SD Card corruption. The way to stop that is to execute the command shutdown before removing power in a Rpi system. Means you need battery back up. SD Cards need to have power maintained for 4 seconds (it is in the SD Card spec no one has bothered to read but me) after a write to avoid corruption, and Linux is always writing log files for everything....all the time.
Doing anything with a Rpi involves Googling how to do it then follow the instructions. It is an educational toy, so all the standards are covered.
For the comic I used a desktop system for the actual development, but to print it like a 'Zine', I used a laptop I have a Lazer printer connected to. The Samba directory just shows up on both machines in the Network, and dropping and dragging files is faster than using Web based Drive (and we hate the Drive tool that copies everything locally), or accessing the 'Public' folders on each machine which also duplicates the files.
The Rpi File Server was Fast and simple enough, but it isn't the master file copy in this case.... don't trust the SD Card it is on.
I do have an older WD 500MB drive I could use with the Rpi. The Rpi can support the NTFS file system and have Samba directories on it. But it needs more power than the Rpi USB can provide, and getting a powered USB hub is a bit much. The easiest solution for me would be to hack the short USB drive cable, so that the USB power isn't coming from the Rpi USB connector, but from the +5VDC and GND on the HAT connector. Haven't bothered to do this yet.
Now the real technical issue is Imposition for Printing. I designed these comics to be printed as A5 books. This is one of the larger Japanese styled formats. So print double sided A4, so when the pages are folded in half and stapled, you get the typical A5 'Zine' as in the photo above.
So I had to do the double sided printing manually, get the right A5 page number on the right section of each A4 sheet, and take into account the printers boarder, and that we would not be using the bleed and printing to the page edges.
A small dummy 1/4 size book cut from a single sheet of A4 with all the file numbers on each page helped to get everything in the right place for the 16 page Terraform main story.
So for the 16 page Terraform, we made 8, A4 pages, each containing the correct 2 A5 pages, so that when we printed the first 4 pages, put them back in the paper tray, then printed the last 4 pages, we had everything printed double sided and in the correct order for folding and stapling.
But the reason for doing it at all, is thinking there is something worth saying..... on issues that impact us all.
The online versions on these comics can be found at Art and Technology.